According to the Community certification model, all train drivers must have the capacity and qualifications to drive trains and hold a license and one or more certificates.
A driver's knowledge is assessed in training through an examination, a test run to obtain the right to drive a type of locomotive or the right to operate in a driving area, or a periodic intermediate check to verify existing skills and knowledge. The assessment of expertise shall be carried out by an examiner approved by the Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority. The employer issues the necessary certificate to the driver.
Requirements for examiners and recognition of examiners
Train drivers' examiners must have the skills and knowledge in the field they wish to conduct the examination.
Train drivers' examiners must conduct examinations independently. To this end, the persons or entities applying for recognition must demonstrate to the Authority that they comply with these requirements.
To obtain an examiner approval from the Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority, the person applying for the license must submit:
1) A free-form application, indicating the field or fields in which recognition of the examiner is sought:
- assessment of general professional knowledge
- assessment of professional knowledge relating to railway rolling stock.
- evaluation of competence relating to railway infrastructure
(2) Details of a valid train driving license;
(3) The arrangements for conducting the examination, which, among other things, lay down the principles for assessment and scoring and how the results are presented (mark or score). N.B. The arrangements for conducting the examination must not be centralized with the employer or the railway undertaking;
(4) Documents of documentary value attesting to at least four years' driving experience on the vehicle on which the examinations are to be held;
(5) Documents of documentary value confirming that the applicant has knowledge and experience in the field in which the examinations are to be held;
Explanation: the experience required must have been acquired in a professional activity pursued for at least four years during the five years preceding the application's date. The period of professional experience required may include periods during which the applicant was employed as a train driver holding a valid license and certificate or as a trainer in the field covered by the application.
6) Documents of probative value confirming that the applicant has the pedagogical skills and knowledge of the relevant examination methods and documents to pass the examination;
(7) To be able to take the practical examination on the railway vehicle on which the assessments are to be held, the applicant must provide documents of documentary evidence to the effect that he has at least four years experience of driving a railway vehicle, acquired not earlier than five years before the date of application;
8) Documents of documentary evidence showing that the applicant can listen and speak in the chosen examination language. If the language of the examination chosen is the applicant's mother tongue, such documents need not be provided;
Explanation: Speaking in the chosen language must be at least level B2 as defined in the Council of Europe's European Framework of Reference for Languages.
9) Confirmation from the infrastructure manager that the applicant is competent to assess the professional knowledge related to the railway infrastructure he manages.
Explanation: This is necessary if the applicant wishes to assess the knowledge related to specific railway infrastructure.
After applying, the applicant for examiner recognition must undergo an interview at the Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority on the following topics:
1) The up-to-date professional skills relevant to the field of the examiner;
2) Knowledge of the procedures for the certification of train drivers.
IF THE EXAMINER IS APPROVED, THE Consumer Protection and Technical Regulatory Authority ISSUES AN EXAMINER'S CERTIFICATE. THE EXAMINER CERTIFICATE IS VALID FOR 5 YEARS.
Last updated: 07.04.2021